Pour over coffee occupies a very important part of the coffee world. For novices who want to have their own coffee maker, then, how to buy? Which aspects should I mainly look at?
This article will answer your doubts. The following 7 points should be the main points when choosing a pour over coffee maker.
1. Appearance: Choose your favorite color and it’s happy just watching at the kettle. Common metal primary colors are stainless steel, copper, or add baking varnish or enamel, and the color choices are even more.
2. Heating method: After the hot water is put into the hand-flushing pot, it needs to be heated if the water temperature is not enough. Commonly used heat sources are induction cookers and gas stoves, but each pot is of different materials, so it is recommended to read the instructions carefully before buying.
3. Material thickness and characteristics: This will affect the heat preservation and thermal conductivity of the pour-over pot. The thicker the material, the better the heat preservation, the better the thermal conductivity, and the faster the heat dissipation. But the temperature uniformity between the kettle body and the kettle neck will be better.
4. Pot body: Pour-over pots are mostly shaped with a narrow top and a wide bottom. The ratio of the width to the narrow body will directly affect the water pressure and stability.
5. The neck of the kettle is bent: whenever the water comes out, it will reduce the momentum of the water injection and make the water flow more smoothly. The curvature of the kettle body and the kettle neck often match each other, like the KALITA thin-necked stainless steel kettle (700ml). The kettle is tall and thin, so the neck is designed to be double-curved at nearly 90 degrees; and another KALITA court narrow-necked kettle (900ml). Because the body is short and fat, the neck is designed to bend relatively slowly.
6. The inner diameter of the spout: Divided into a narrow mouth and wide mouth, it will affect the water flow, stability, and momentum.
7. Spout cut: Divided into flat cut type and crane mouth type.
- Slim-necked pots are of flat-cut type, and the flow is easy to control, which is more suitable for novices to choose, but it also limits the changes in water injection techniques, for example: Soulhand slim-necked stainless steel pot (1200ml)
- The flow rate of the crane mouth type is easy to control, and the water injection technique can be changed more, but it still needs to be controlled and practiced.
- Wide-mouth flat-cut water flow is large and soft, while small water flow requires more practice, and it is not easy for novices to control.
- The crane mouth wide mouth type has large flow and concentrated, which is suitable for the large water flow flushing method. For example: KALITA toucan hand flushing pot.
HARIO V60 Cloud Coffee Kettle
- Reference price: $47.02
- Practicality: It is known as the most used pour-over in the cafe. It feels light and the handle is not hot at all. The shape of the cloud pot is cute, and the handle of the handshake pot has a unified handle.
- Material: Stainless steel
- Suggested Pour over method: quick punch
- Barista's experience: The water flow is relatively thick, and fine water flow control requires skill. The V60 is the company's most popular hand brewing machine. Use the best quality metal, glass, ceramics to glass to bring out the modern and simple design of the v60. The large-caliber design allows coffee to have more room for expansion when adding hot water for extraction. The v60 pour-over coffee set includes a v60 pour-over coffee kettle, measuring spoon, filter paper, and a microwaveable coffee pot, which is most suitable as a gift for coffee lovers or for personal use.
- Reference price: $49.99
- Practicability: It can be used in an induction cooker to effectively control the speed, flow, and direction of the water flow. The pot has smooth lines and a comfortable feel, and the appearance is generous and beautiful
- Material: Stainless steel
- Suggested Pour over method: slow punch
- Barista's experience: The water flow is soft, and novices can also control it well. Generally speaking, it is easy to use. Novices are suitable for small-mouthed pots (with an inner diameter of 6mm or more). The professional gooseneck-style small-nosed nozzle design can more effectively control the water flow speed.
Melitta Pour Over Kettle
Melitta hand coffee maker has a long history and is also a market leader. Coffee lovers all over the world agree that pour-over coffee is the best and most convenient way to make coffee. The trendy design of Melitta allows users to make a cup of fragrant coffee easily and conveniently, and enjoy the most authentic taste of coffee.
- Reference price: $89.99
- Practicality: Although the image of the huge body of the kettle is a bit cumbersome, it is benefited from the design of the crane beak that overlooks the upwards, and the water control is very good.
- Material: stainless steel
- Suggested Pour over method: brewing method with slow penetration
- Barista's experience: Kalita 1.2L large mouth spout can ensure sufficient water flow for brewing coffee powder for multiple servings, increasing the degree of the tumbling of the powder layer, easy to form strong brewing convection, and then extracting more fully. The handle of the solid wood material is also very comfortable to hold and feel good. Personally, I think it is a very easy-to-use pot with a large capacity. It is recommended to use in stores.
Kalita Copper Hand Punch 700CUW
- Reference price: $326.84
- Practicability: Copper has good thermal conductivity and uniform heat dissipation, noble in shape, and looks calm and practical. Let those who use it also reveal a sophisticated taste.
- Material: Copper
- Suggested pour-over method: Japanese hand punch
- The barista’s experience: The neck of Kalita1L does not rise smoothly, but gradually gathers up from the body to the tip of the mouth in a triangular streamline, increasing the arc, thereby limiting the flow rate of the water. The water injection strength is much softer than the appearance.